Ghana’s enthralling 2-2 draw with Benin at the Ismailia Stadium Tuesday night brought the opening round of games at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) group stage to a close.
Here is a Footy-Ghana.com compilation of some key stats after the group phase:
- A total of 12 games were played in the first round of the 24-team Nations Cup.
- A total of 27 goals were scored, averaging 2.25 per game.
- Mali’s 4-1 victory against Madagascar was the game that produced most goals.
- Mali’s 4 goals were the most by a single team
- Egypt’s Mahmoud Trezeguet’s strike against Zimbabwe was the first goal at Afcon 2019.
- Benin’s Mickael Pote’s second minute strike against the Black Stars of Ghana was the fastest game of the first round.
- Namibia’s Itamunua Keimuine’s 89th minute own goal against Morocco was the latest goal in the first round of Afcon 2019.
- Mickael Pote’s 2 goals against Ghana was the most from a player after the first round of the group phase.
- A total of 25 players have scored after the first round.
- A total of 89,733 spectators have attended the 12 games, averaging 7,478 spectators per game.
- Ghana’s John Boye had the only red card in the first 12 games at Afcon 2019.
- A total of 35 yellow cards were issued in the first 12 games of the first round.
The second batch of groups stage fixtures kick-start Wednesday with a West African battle between Nigeria and Guinea as well as Uganda vs Zimbabwe all in Alexandria. Hosts Egypt crown the day against DR Congo at the Cairo International Stadium in the late kickoff match.